Giant Aeromaster by Great Planes
The Aeromaster comes in a box that is not overly large,
but is really heavy. This is an all built-up kit
- no foam parts. One of the first things I did was toss
the ABS cowl and wheel pants as I've had my fill of
plastic parts before. I'll be using fiberglass parts. The
canopy was crushed, but there was no damage to the box it
was shipped in (strange). Great Planes replaced it
immediately with no questions asked.
Most of this plane will be built stock, but
it will be lightened where I see fit. It appears that the
plane was designed heavy, and some lightening techniques
are definately in order. I build my planes to fly rather
than crash, and I'd like the Aeromaster to weigh no more
than 19 lbs.
I'll be installing a Zenoah G-62 engine and B&B
smoke system in the Aeromaster . The radio equipment will
consist of a JR 8103 transmitter, JR S-PCM receiver and
Hitec HS-425/545 servos. I'll be running two 1,100 mah
batteries and two switch harnesses for redundancy. It
will be covered with either Monokote or Ultracoat -
whichever stands up better to my smoke oil tests. Paint
will be custom matched automotive acrylic enamel.
This all adds up to a fairly expensive project, as any
giant scale project is. I put a detailed
estimate together, and it came in at $1,473.
Construction - started 9/7
These construction notes consist only of
variations from the plans, and anything that I feel the
reader would find of interest that is unique to standard
I have decided to go with foam core tail feathers. For
approximately the same weight as built-up, I'll get a
more true and stronger tail. Here
are the airfoils I used in case you want to do the
same. I use Elmer's ProBond Urethane adhesive exclusively
for bonding balsa to foam cores. It's light, permanent
and very strong.